Observations of a WASH TA

Observations of a W.A.S.H. TA

What is WASH?

W.A.S.H. (Workshop in Art Studio and History) is an intro art program held at Sam Houston State University. Taught by Bill Davenport and Kathryn Kelley, it is the first step on the path to earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts at SHSU.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

There's a Show in the LSC!

The World Around Me
Kara Elaine Thompson 
Loman Student Center Gallery 
Sept 12-24


 "This is a collection that consists of both class and personal projects. I believe that it is important to do what you want, and my wants cannot be sufficed by school projects alone. There is a specific piece of an old man playing chess in graphite that is very dear to me because when I first moved to Sam, living in my dorm all that I unpacked was a sketchbook and some ebony pencils. Like any novice, I googled until i found a picture I liked and drew it. Before I knew it I was switching my major from education to art not ever having taken an art class in my life. For the record: the old man is the only picture in the exhibition that wasn't from life or my own photographs; so W.A.S.H students, use your own pictures! I want people to realize that being an artist is not something that you have to begin as an apprentice from an early age like the old masters. My talents and skills have much more developing to do, but it is important for me to showcase what I have accomplished. Although it is a strange feeling, like a vunerable goldfish, to have my first show in a room made of glass, it feels refreshing to have no inhibitions."

-Kara Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment